Magshop for iPad and iPhone
click here for support
Magshop is now available for download to your Apple iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch!
In addition to browsing our extensive collection of titles available for print-subscriptions the app lets you download and read exact digital copies of some magazines including Cleo, PC User, Street Machine, Recipes+, Rugby League Week and many more. These magazines can be read on any iPad (or iPhone/iPod touch with iOS4).
- Buy exact digital copies of some of our most popular magazines (including back-issues) to read on your iPad (or iPhone/iPad Touch with iOS4) *
- Browse and search over 400 print magazine titles.
- Use the gift finder to select gift subscriptions for friends and family.
- Buy print subscriptions of your favourite mags (from Australia and New Zealand, many with delivery available worldwide).
- Find digital version of magazines (both separate Apps and downloadable digital copies).
- Find locations of stores stocking your favourite mags (Australia-only).
iPad screenshots (click for larger):
* Magazine download requires a Wi-Fi connection and will not work over 3G due to the size of the magazine download.
Tips for using the Magshop app
When using the Magshop app, there are 5 options listed along the bottom of the screen:
- MyMags - lists all the digital magazines you have purchased in Magshop. Touch a magazine to read it (see below for more info on the digital magazine reader).
- Browse - here you'll find all our great titles grouped into categories to help you find the magazines you are most interested in. Most importantly, the Digital Magazines category contains all the titles you can purchase, download and read right on your iPad or other iOS device. Look for the blue-corner 'iPad' indicator which tells you the magazine is available in digital format.
- GiftFinder - generate great gift ideas for friends and family by their gender, age and interests.
- Favourites - a convenient place to list all your favourite magazines; perhaps to purchase or subscribe to later.
- StoreFinder - use your device's location or postcode search to find nearby newsagents and other stores that stock Magshop titles (Australia-only).
Throughout the Magshop app (Browse, GiftFinder, Favourites) touching a magazine will pop-up more details for that publication:
- Cover image - tap on the cover to see a larger version, or a full preview for iPad digital magazines.
- 'Add favourite' - mark this magazine to appear in your favourites list.
- 'Subscribe to print edition' - purchase a subscription to this magazine either for yourself or as a gift. The magazine can be delivered to Australia, New Zealand or most international destinations.
- 'Find nearest stockist' - find the nearest newsagent or store that stocks this magazine (Australia only).
- 'Download app from App Store' - this button means that a separate App is available for this magazine. Touching it will take you to the App Store where you can buy and download the app. This is different to a digital magazine that can be read using Magshop.
- Blue 'Buy' button - if a blue button is visible then this magazine is available as a digital version to read in Magshop on your iPad (or iPhone/iPod touch with iOS4). The price will be displayed on the button.
- Cover price - the newsstand price in Australia or New Zealand. Buying a digital copy or subscribing is a great way to save money off the cover price.
- Description - a brief description of the magazine's content.
Buying and Downloading Digital Magazines
When you press the blue 'Buy' button a message will appear explaining how big the file download is and an estimate of how long it will take. Press OK to confirm the purchase. Downloading magazines requires a Wi-Fi connection; if Magshop cannot detect a Wi-Fi internet connection you will see a message that you cannot purchase.
Purchases are done through the App Store and will require your Apple Id username & password to authorise.
Once the digital magazine has been purchased it will be downloaded and installed. A progress bar will appear to indicate how fast the download and installation are going. You should avoid switching applications or turning off your device while downloading or installing a magazine. If the download or installation is interrupted you can re-start it from the beginning next time you open Magshop.
If you have multiple devices using the same Apple Id (eg. an iPad and an iPhone) you can download purchased digital magazines onto both devices - simply press the 'Restore' button on the MyMags screen. You will not be charged twice for magazines you have already purchased.
Finally, you can also 'archive' (ie. delete from your device) and 'restore' (re-download) by swiping on the magazine in MyMags. This will help you manage the amount of 'disk space' used on your device to store digital magazines. You will not be charged again when you restore/re-download a digital magazine.
Reading Digital Magazines
The digital magazine reader responds to the following gestures:
- Tap the screen - tapping anywhere on the magazine page will cause the toolbar and page-navigator to appear or disappear.
- Double-tap - double-tapping anywhere on the magazine page will zoom in or out.
- Pinch - zoom in/out of the page.
- Swipe right or left - move to the next or previous page in the magazine. When you are zoomed in, swiping will move the page around until you reach the edge of the page.
- Turn your device sideways (landscape) - shows complete double-page view of the magazine.
The blue toolbar appears along the top of the screen. From left-to-right, the options are:
- Back button - closes the magazine and takes you back to the MyMags list. Next time you read this magazine you will be returned to the same page you left.
- Contents - shows a pop-over listing the table of contents. Scroll up and down the list to see all contents items, and tap an item to see that page in the magazine.
- Page grid - shows all the pages in the magazine. The current page has a yellow box around it and bookmarked pages have a small red badge. Touch a miniature page to read.
- Add Bookmark (+) - Add a bookmark to the current page.
- Show Bookmarks - shows a pop-over menu of your bookmarks in this magazine. Touch an item to visit that page, or swipe inside a pop-over menu item to use the Delete Bookmark feature. If the page you bookmarked has a table-of-contents entry, that information is shown in the bookmark menu.
Page navigator options:
- Page miniatures - swipe the page-navigator to see other pages. The current page has a yellow box around it and bookmarked pages have a small red badge. Touch a miniature page to read.
- Scroll bar - Below the miniature pages is a scroll-bar that represents the entire length of the magazine. Drag the little ball to navigate quickly to a specific part of the magazine, then touch the page miniature you wish to read.
Settings & Support Info
You can configure some Magshop options via the Settings app (the grey 'gear' icon on your Home screen). The following User Settings can be changed:
- Show page numbers - when you are swiping between pages the current page number is displayed as a small, grey number on the right-hand side of the screen. Switching this OFF will hide that page number display.
- Disable 'cookies' - just like a website, Magshop uses a 'cookie' concept to record page-views. Also just like a website, we do not track any user-identifiable information - so your privacy is assured. If you wish you can disable 'cookies' by switching this ON.
- Tap to turn page - the default way to move between pages in Magshop is to swipe across the screen. Switching this ON also lets you move to the next or previous page with a single tap along the left or right edge of the screen. Tap in the centre of the screen to show/hide the toolbar and page-navigator.
Below these settings are three items of Support Information: App Version, Data version AU and Data version NZ. If you need to use the Support Form below to report a problem with Magshop, providing these three details will help us identify any problems.
iPhone/iPad Support Form
Please provide as much information as possible in order to assist us with answering
your query. We welcome your comments, suggestions and feedback. Alternatively you may call us
between 8:00am to 6:00pm Monday To Friday AEST on 136 116.